As mentioned at the General Membership meeting last week, the City of Calgary is taking a look at the secondary suite debate once again. Do you or someone you know living in a secondary suite? If so, the city would like to here from you.
What’s a secondary suite? Glad you asked!
To quote Wikipedia:
Secondary suite is an urban planning term for an additional separate dwelling unit on a property that would normally accommodate only one dwelling unit. A secondary suite is considered “secondary” or “accessory” to the primary residence on the parcel. It normally has its own entrance, kitchen, bathroom and living area. Such a suite often is one of the following types:
- A suite above a rear detached garage,
- A suite above the main floor of a single-detached dwelling,
- A suite below the main floor of a single-detached dwelling (a “basement suite”).
- A suite attached to a single-detached dwelling at grade, or
- A suite detached from the principal dwelling (a “garden suite” or “guesthouse“).
So if you, or someone you know lives in a situation such as this, fill out this survey the City of Calgary has commissioned and have your voice heard!